It sort of looks like Saeed is carrying the Olympic torch but really he's just trying to arrange the bird feeders in a way that will be easier for him to fill on a regular basis...

Keeping up with the outside feeders is actually quite a bit of work. Each feeder has to be cleaned periodically from debris and clumpy seeds.

... wha la! The feeders hold a variety of seeds for the purpose of attracting a variety of bird species. I couldn't get a pic of it but a chickadee kept flying onto the feeder even though we just a few feet away from it.

People with feeders often forget that birds need water too, especially if it hasn't rained recently.

Our Japanese Maple, still green except for three red leaves way up on top. What red leaves you say? I can see them from where I'm sitting in front of the computer; this tree is right outside the window. We'll see what color it is next weekend.


6 comments:
Hey. I need to put seeds in my feeders too, now that my Radiology exam is over. Boy, do I hate that class...but, I digress.
SO...as much as I hate to correct my brilliant, wonderful mother (no sarcasm, I really mean it), I have to let you know that that big tree is not a Japanese Maple. I believe it is a red maple (which means it'll all be red at some point this fall...yay!). Also, I know it doesn't matter, but I believe "wha la" is actually the French work "voila." Tita can correct my spelling if I'm wrong. Sorry to be nit-picky!!! I just felt compelled to tell you b/c I didn't know how to spell that word for a while and now I do! :)
Back to the topic of the blog, I'm very fond of the idea of having a nice wildlife station for birds and squirrels. I suppose we can thank Grandma for starting that trend! :)
-Shirin
Forgive my wife for calling a red maple Japanese maple; though she has been around a gardner husband for decades, her generally vast reportoire of biological interest and information does not include most plants. She may, in fact, be a little hostile toward them, as indicated by her knack for leading tens of house plants to their demise a week after she gets hem. Peculiarly, I find her destructive and hostile relationship with the kingdom flora to be one more reason for me to love and cherish her.
Wha La! I have found a way to get my family to leave nice long comments - make more errors! I've just been too perfect I guess.
Shirin azizum,
Your mom is really reluctant to let you know that she did not make a mistake with her "wha la," as similar-sounding as it might be to French voila, which means "here it is." She is just too magnanimous to embarrass her first-born doctor daughter, but I am not that magnanimous, so I will tell you the truth: she has been learning Arabic and has quickly built a habit of overusing a common Arabic exclamation, "wha la, which literally means "and, not," but in usage, is analogous to "is it not so?." As for her calling a red maple Japanese, I have, upon further reflection, decided that she may have done it purposely as a figurative equivalent of tweaking my nose for planting so many trees over her vehement opposition. Now you know, wha la?
Ha ha. Of course, I called "voila" a work and not a word, so no one is perfect! :)
-Shirin
Yes Shirin, and I didn't point it out - just call me Mother Teresa. So in addition to being practically perfect in every way (Mary Poppins) I am forgiving and magnanimous (Mother Teresa.) What an amazing person I am. I guess if you put those two together I'm the Flying Nun (Sally Fields) which is before your time.
Post a Comment