Monday, April 20, 2009

2 Days Till Earth Day

*2*


Family Circus By Bil & Jeff Keane, dist. by King Features Syndicate




Eventually those of us who are living on this planet will die. I even hate thinking about it, let alone saying it out loud but it's a sure thing. Our children and grandchildren (hi Cyrus!) will be handed a world of our doing... our creation for better or worse. Although most people don't seem to want to think about it (because then they'd have to admit there's a problem) some of us are aware of the damage our wasteful lifestyle has caused to the health of the earth. The problem for the latter group is that I don't think many of us feel powerful or knowledgeable enough to know what to do about it. Everything I've blogged about in the last two weeks during this countdown seems radical and hippie-ish, kind of like "Oh... you're one of those." So if these changes aren't mainstream do they stand a chance of happening?

Yes. We need to raise the next generation to be better than ours. They'll have to be. In a comment Shirin wrote on my "6 Days Till Earth Day" post she confessed to how much she enjoys a long hot shower, and I agreed with her. But the changes are necessary and as I said in my answer to her, "It's impossible to be perfect, but it is possible to be better." Each of us just has to decide how much better we want to be and then make it happen step by step.

Part of the solution to making that next generation better and smarter is to make knowledge of the environment a routine part of their basic education. I don't know if you remember me blogging about "Sustainable Dave," but he's a humorous environmentalist and a regular guy. He said one of his wishes is for mandatory "
...environmental education in all schools–public, private, and beyond. And I’m not just talking about a course, but a concerted effort to make the environment a part of the entire school experience so that upon graduation, an understanding of the fragile balance in which we need to exist is instilled in every student." - Dave Chameides

Be a part of the solution.


No comments: