Thursday, April 30, 2009

#4 Is The Killer

I don't know what to do with this one:
Replace two car trips with walking, biking or public transportation.

Oi vey. How can I accommodate this? I live four miles away from one office and 21 miles away from my other office. Even if I could bike to the closer office what would I look like when I got there? I'm a medical person. I'm supposed to look neat and clean and I'm not supposed to stink. What if it's raining? snowing? 101 degrees in the shade? And then there's the bike-unfriendly shoulders... take a look:

I am not ready to die yet, so riding my bike does not seem like an option. Does my town have any public transport? Let me think.... uhhh... NO! There is a bus that runs from Rock Hill to Charlotte four times in the morning and four times returning in the evening, but nothing in the town of Rock Hill. Carpooling isn't an option since my coworkers and I travel to different offices at different times on different days.

What's a girl to do? Shirin asked this same question when she responded to the first Earth Week Challenge post. I don't have an answer. The cities and towns in our country, other than the large cities, are simply not set up to provide public transportation. I don't see a solution.

Any suggestions out there?

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Why don't you just walk or bike to a place that isn't work, like Earth Fare. I guess it doesn't seem too feasible.
Maybe you can just NOT go somewhere non-necessary that you would've gone to and try to just drive 2 fewer times per week. Maybe?
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

As to your first suggestion the worst stretches of road are those closest to home. Once I get out on Ebenezer there are sidewalks for most of the route. Still, I'd look a mess once I got there.

The second one is a good suggestion, one that I usually do anyway. I'd read somewhere that it's helpful to organize errands into one trip and plan the route so you can hit each spot in order, so I've been doing that too.

Another option when the university is in session is to have Daddy drop me off on his way to school. This requires coordination but could conceivably happen twice a week.