Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Nutritionista's Lament

I find studies and articles on nutrition interesting, both from a scientific point of view and from a "what should I eat" point of view. Nevertheless I think we can all agree that they are all VERY CONFUSING!! My sister has a pretty good solution to this: eat a little bit of everything and somewhere therein lies the truth.

I stumbled across a great article that details the types of food studies and explains which ones are even slightly reliable. She does a great job of revealing all the problems with them not least of which is the honesty of researchers themselves! Remember when it was said that drinking milk helps you lose weight? The research was funded by the dairy industry and the lead researcher swore that wouldn't influence his results, but at the end of the day nobody could replicate his research.

So what's a nutritionista to do? I guess there's no harm in reading the studies as they are published, but take everything with a boulder of salt. Toward the end of the article the author quotes someone as saying, " “Eat less, move more, eat lots of fruits and vegetables.” For those who want more detail, she adds, “Go easy on junk foods.”

Heck, my dad said that 50 years ago.

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

Yeah, the moving more part is essential.
-Shirin