Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic Pretender

Am I the only one who used to pretend to be an Olympic skier, skater, swimmer, diver when they were a kid?  

When I was little I loved sports. I was on swim team, diving team, and participated in noncomptetitive winter sports with my parents. We didn't watch much TV back then. I was allowed to watch The Ed Sullivan Show, Lawrence Welk, and the Olympics. I remember bringing the kitchen stool in front of the TV set and doing all sorts of gymnastic shenanigans on it while watching the gymnasts do their routines. My Dad once told me (I think he got over excited when I got third place in the Illinois state swim meet in butterfly) that if I wanted to go all the way and shoot for the Olympics he would do whatever it took to help me get there. Poor Daddy, I didn't have the desire to spend six hours a day in the pool and told him so, but that didn't stop both of us from dreaming.

The Olympics start today. Probably, somewhere deep in the pretend-spot of my brain, I will be dreaming of my participation in my thrill of victory... not my agony of defeat. That's what dreams are for.

3 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

I never thought I could do it, but I've always LOVED watching it. Guess we'll start turning on the TV for the good stuff tonight.
-Shirin

Anonymous said...

You'e the only one in OUR family. That's because you got all the athletic genes. I'm sure I'll get sucked in again, bur right now I'm still smarting from how the Olympic site selection committee treated us.
- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

I can't believe you're still upset about the Olympic Committee not selecting Chicago. Maybe by 2016 you will have forgiven them!! :-)