Monday, February 1, 2010

Three Inches Of Ice

(Continued from previous post...)
Although we cleared a path in the driveway yesterday I failed to LOOK at my car that was parked at the top of the driveway. This morning I reassured my aching muscles that all that shoveling the day before would make my trip in to work uneventful and easy. I was surprised to see three solid inches of ice at the base of my windshield and back window, ice that couldn't be "scraped" off but had to be whacked and chiseled off. I felt like an anthropologist as I got closer to my wipers, brushing and chipping gently so as to not break the precious appendages.

45 minutes later, with frozen, painful hands, I drove in to work and arrived about half an hour late. Fortunately all of our early AM patients were also chipping their cars out of their driveways and didn't show up or came even later than I. One of my coworkers sent this to me, and I laughed out loud as I grimaced and tried to rub some life back into my aching hands:

We're supposed to have more of this kind of weather this week... can't wait.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Surely you know how amusing your observations are to a damn Yankee since you used to be one. That's why I'd much rather be in icy weather at home, since we are so much better equipped to do something about it. But with all the climate change, perhaps Rock Hill needs to add a fleet of snow plows and hurl some salt around. Hope that it's for the year!

Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Y'know, I remember SNOW being the primary winter precipitate when I was a kid, not the ice we get here. Can you imagine how much fun my driveway would have been? Snow = GOOD Ice = BAD!

Anonymous said...

I guess the memory tends to eliminate the bad... Our new home has dents all over the drive way and sidewalk from our efforts to break up the two inch ice layer that was covered by six inches of snow. And we're hardly ever there in the winter!!!

Ingrid said...

Ha! Well, I guess I was a kid and just like the phrase "To a dog every day is a Saturday" we could say "To a kid every snowfall is an opportunity to play." I remember beautiful icicles but not struggling to get ice off the driveway --- selective memory for sure.