Saturday, November 23, 2013

Keeping An Outdoor Cat Healthy & Happy

You know my feelings about domestic cats living outside, with the increased potential for danger and disease not to mention extreme discomfort from the vagaries of Mother Nature. I blogged recently about our efforts to create safe places for Sherbet in the area he considers home. During the week when I work I pretty much just feed and love him, but there is a small amount of upkeep that I do on some weekends.

Today was my day to take a look at his little house. The website I got the idea from said to keep the straw clean and dry. I also wanted to check it to see if there was any evidence that he's actually using it, even though I think I smell straw on his fur sometimes.

Indeed, much of the straw had been shoved up into one corner (toward the top of the photograph) and there were two leaves (toward the bottom of the photograph) that he must have brought in on his hoofies. You may not be able to see it but there is also a cat-assed size depression in the middle-top section of the straw where he must nestle.

I added some more straw because the weather forecast for tomorrow and the early part of the week is for temps in the 20's and 30's and some rain too. Brrrr. Yuk. I hope this box makes a big difference for him.

While I was working on his little house and replenishing the camouflage on his feeding tunnel, Sherbet happily watched me from my mat. This mat used to be in our bathroom; it's padded and soft. I use it to protect my clothes from the dirt and moisture of the ground and return it to my car each time. Sherbet has taken a clear liking to it and I have to physically remove him from it - he doesn't give it up easily. Precious bubsy.



Addendum: This morning (day after this post) it was 32 degrees outside. I saw Sherbet come out of the bush where his little house is located. He is definitely using it.  :-)

No comments: