Saturday, September 15, 2007

Festival of India

It couldn't have been a prettier day; the weather was warm and breezy. The smells were intoxicating, from food being cooked and sold by about 10 different vendors, from incense, from ladies' perfumes, and from the smell of still wet henna. The sounds were exhilerating, from the music of CD vendors, from the myriad of languages and accents, from the squeals of happy children and their parents trying to keep them in line, and from the dance music. The colors were riotous from all the saris, salwar kameezes, kurtas, lengha cholis, tunics, bangles, bindis, earring, anklets, and tikkas. Was it sensory overload? No, it was perfect.

The little girl on the right was happy to be photographed, but the one on the left couldn't make up her mind! She's looking at her mom for reassurance.
This table was loaded with skirts and kurtis (Indian shirts) for shoppers to sift through.

See the little girl in the white shirt? She would walk on the shirts on the table to give shoppers out-of-reach items. Her dad just about had a heart attack when she proceeded to eat her plate of food above all those kurtis!

I enjoyed watching these two ladies who managed to balance plates of food and children and not miss a beat in their lively conversation.

It struck me how much Indians love their children. I'm sure all parents love their children but there's something noticably different about it. This father was hand feeding his son.

Holding still for just a couple of seconds.

Lots of jewelry vendors.

I met Priya (Dr. Bajaj) there with her daughter Aashna. Priya's son, Nikhil, was home sick. Since it was very crowded she decided that it was probably easier that the energetic toddler stayed home! Her husband, Mohan, was in Chicago on business.

After we ate masala dosas, idli, mango lassi, rasam and coconut chutney for lunch it was time for Priya and Aashna to get the nice ladies to do their henna. Actually the Indians call henna "mehndi" but the Middle East typically calls it henna.

Aashna is holding still fairly well, but the henna artist holds on tight just in case!

Almost done.

Oops, did I get that henna on the chair?

We met up with Melvette and Lou who also got henna.

Pretty!

Next stop was some arts and crafts in the children's corner. Looks like mommy's doing most of the work! After this Priya took Aashna home, which left me time to cruise the exhibits.

Each table represented a different state within India.

Rajasthan

Gujarat

A table detailing the many spices in Indian kitchens.

One room had lots of Indian art.

Then I went in the auditorium to watch the two hour long dancing show. The pictures were very dark and from far away, but I was able to improve them a bit on the computer.









After the show I looked out the window to see people still eating, or maybe eating again!

A mother and child looking weary.

One of the dancers (blue) with her mother. I really just wanted to go around taking pictures of everyone's beautiful fabrics.

And finally, the pretend Indian, doing her own little dance.

2 comments:

Shirin Modaresi said...

Is that a new outfit? I don't remember it.
Sorry I missed the festival again. It sure was fun the last time!
-Shirin

Tita said...

Very cute! I like the festival and wish I could have gone too.