It Ain't Easy Being Green (play the game)
EVERYONE'S talking about the environment (finally :-)) and global warming. What took so long? I remember putting up "save the environment" posters as a child, so this problem is not new but it's very popular... for now. My fear is that it will become boring again and something else will take its place. Shirin and Gabriel went for about four (?) months without buying anything new to try to reduce consumerism by joining "The Compact" which is one of the ways to help the environment. The bottom line is that in our country/culture it's really hard to stick with the more environmentally sound choices.
To see where you fall in the scheme of things play the game:
You can play the game by answering the questions and find out how Eco Friendly you are. I always think of our family as environmentally conscious, and we are, but we are still so bad. The first time through, my score said that if everyone on this earth lived my lifestyle it would take 5.8 earths to sustain us. AAAAARGH! The second time through I was able to lessen my score (to only 3.5 earths) by clicking on my willingness to vote for legislation that would improve this country's environmental policies. So that prompted me to go to some of the other links to see what I could do to improve our "ecological footprint." Here are just a few:
Ecological Footprint Quiz
New American Dream
Reducing Your Footprint
Yesterday Saeed and I went out to eat (which I now know as a result of the above game is not the preferred environmental choice) with our new friends Matt and Amy. Both are vegetarian and Amy is looking into starting a local farm. She believes strongly in the "buy locally" mantra and I think this will fit right in with our desire to live a more environmentally friendly lifestyle.
As time goes on I hope to continue to become more GREEN. Kermit was right, it ain't easy being green.
1 comment:
I'm sorry none of my links work. I'm still learning how to do this. If you want the link to the game it's http://sustainability.publicradio.org/consumerconsequences/index.html?=sof
Post a Comment