Wednesday, October 3, 2007

National Vegetarian Month

I can't believe I missed it, but National Vegetarian Month is kicked off on October 1st by World Vegetarian Day. The Humane Society of the United States—the nation's largest animal welfare organization—is encouraging consumers to try delicious meat alternatives that are not derived from the routine abuses billions of farm animals endure. The HSUS also provides recipes for healthy, mouth-watering vegetarian meal ideas.
With increasing awareness of the way farm animals are treated and growing consumer demand for more humane alternatives, it's never been easier to prevent animal abuse at every meal. In local stores you can now find a wealth of vegetarian alternatives, including patties, nuggets, soups, milks, bacon, sausages, and even drumsticks, that can replace their animal product counterparts in any meal or recipe.

I will save you the horrifying photographs, but just this year alone, approximately 9 billion cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys and other animals will be killed for human consumption.






The vast majority of these animals are confined in restrictive, filthy warehouses, pens, and stalls, causing tremendous frustration and suffering.






Some seem to think fish don't suffer the same abuse but just because they're not warm-blooded land animals doesn't mean they don't suffer.







Farm animals also routinely endure agonizing mutilations without painkiller, and their shortened lives often end in painful slaughter.







Virtually no laws protect farm animals from even the gravest mistreatment, and most state animal cruelty laws exempt routine agricultural practices that are abusive to farm animals.






The HSUS encourages people to learn more about humane food choices through its Guide to Vegetarian Eating, available at HumaneEating.org






I encourage you to look honestly at your plate. Do you see a nugget or a piece of a dead chicken's body?

Clue: it's not a nugget.


For HSUS's favorite recipes go here.
For an eye opening video giving reasons to go vegetarian go here.


3 comments:

Saeed said...

As a relative new comer to vegetarianism, I feel like an ex convict who wants to find a way to repent for his past misdeeds aginst his harmless, beautiful fellow living animals, to make up for the hurt I caused them, and to get away as far away from my past as possible. Feeling superior to other living, sensing animals by subjugating them to every possible pain for the purpose of pleasing ourselves by taking their lives away now feels to me just a notch short of subjugating powerless slaves to forced labor and heartkessky lynching them. May god of us animals forgive me for my mindless past and may it illuminate others' hearts by the kindness and gentleness that come with the refusal to harm or spill the blood of other nature's creatures.

Kumudha said...

Grerat post!
It is so easy to be a vegetarian in united states these day!

Ingrid said...

Thanks Kumudha. I loved your posting from Oct. 2. I have long been an admirer of Gandhiji and will be doing a post on him in the future. I also love Indian food and have marked your blog and others linked to your blog for future recipe reference.

Yes, the vegan lifestyle is not easy but being a vegetarian is. I try to be vegan when I'm fixing my own food, but if someone fixes me something with dairy or eggs I don't turn it away.

I will be checking your blog regularly!