Saturday, October 27, 2007

Persian Music

With all the posts about Indian music, festivals, and food, one would think I love Indian stuff the most. Actually Persian music and food are number 1 for me. I love Persian music, almost all types. For those of you who haven't heard traditional classical Persian music I'd like to introduce you to Mohammad Reza Shajarian. Saeed and I saw him in concert at Duke University some years back. Although he was the main billing for the concert he actually was very sick with fever and flu, yet he came on stage and did his best. His son, Homayoun, suprised us all by coming into the song to help his dad out when the voice failed. Homayoun has come a long way since then, recording his own music now. He's also a wonderful tombak player and still takes second seat to his dad in concerts.
Ostad Muhammad Reza Shajarian with son Homayoun Shajarian
Listen to this early recording of Shajarian to marvel at the voice. The famous tar player, Lotfi, accompanies him. Here's another recording from long ago. Now listen to the son. This recording is under less than ideal circumstances. It looks like the talk show host just asks him to start singing in his chair! Here's a sweet little song he sings in concert. And here they are together in a concert to raise funds after the earthquake in Bam.

There are many other very famous classical musicians such as Banan, Iraj, Golpa, Hayedeh, Marzieh, etc... but I'm grateful that there are some contemporary musicians keeping the classical music alive. This doesn't mean I don't like some of the modern music. In a future post I'll show you some of my favorite top 40's!

No comments: