I did a post on Martin Luther King, Jr. back in August 2007 (click here to see that post) but since today is the 30th anniversary of his assassination I want to share with you a sermon he gave in April of 1967 that is so appropriate for our situation today. Although he's speaking about the Viet Nam war you would think he's talking about the current war in Iraq.* He talks about speaking out against your government although people will call you unpatriotic and a traitor, equating your dissent with disloyalty
* about being horrified at violence towards us but committing violence against someone else far away who looks different and not seeing it as violence
* about us sending our poor in disproportionately high numbers to go off and fight and die in order to bring other people things that they themselves don't have in their own country
* about us being unwilling to give up our privileges and pleasures that come from overseas investments because we are a thing-oriented society instead of a person-oriented society
* the Western arrogance of feeling that we have everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them
* how we're spending more money on military defense than on social uplift
He says, "Let me say finally that I oppose the war in Vietnam because I love America. I speak out against this war, not in anger, but with anxiety and sorrow in my heart, and, above all, with a passionate desire to see our beloved country stand as the moral example of the world. I speak out against this war because I am disappointed with America. And there can be no great disappointment where there is not great love. I am disappointed with our failure to deal positively and forthrightly with the triple evils of racism, economic exploitation, and militarism. We are presently moving down a dead-end road that can lead to national disaster. I call on Washington today. I call on every man and woman of good will all over America today. I call on the young men of America who must make a choice today to take a stand on this issue. Tomorrow may be too late. It is time for all people of conscience to call upon America to come back home."
Enjoy:
No comments:
Post a Comment