Sunday, May 25, 2008

Oprah's Vegan Adventure

Excitement in the online world of vegetarians and vegans has increased a bit this week. World famous Oprah Winfrey was affected by comments made in a book by Kathy Freston regarding what she calls "conscious eating." In her blog Oprah says:

"Conscious eater. That struck a nerve. I had recently come to the conclusion that after spending weeks reading and rereading A New Earth and being on line with Eckhart Tolle that bringing a higher level of awareness to my eating was the solution I'd been avoiding. My idea of a conscious eater, however, was not quite the same as Kathy's. I thought it meant not allowing yourself to eat emotionally and filling the void of anxiety with food, as I've struggled with for years. I thought it meant taking your time, making healthy choices and chewing slowly—being conscious of every bite and not scarfing down a meal and then thinking about the next one. That is one level of consciousness. But what she talks about in her book is a higher level. She speaks of "spiritual integrity." How can you say you're trying to spiritually evolve, without even a thought about what happens to the animals whose lives are sacrificed in the name of gluttony? So this 21-day cleanse gives me a chance to think about it differently and see what my attachments are to certain kinds of foods—and what I'm willing to do to change."

Every vegetarian e-newsletter I received has mentioned it. I'm not sure what they're expecting to happen, but I suppose Oprah has promoted many a cause, pushing it into the limelight at least. As a "conscious eater" myself I can't deny that it would make me very happy to know that a few more people are choosing a veggie lifestyle for whatever reason. The average vegetarian saves the lives of 95 animals per year. I see that as 95 fewer miserable lives and miserable deaths.

Kathy Freston is new to me. She has written several books and calls herself a "Conscious Living Therapist." She's making the rounds on daytime TV interview shows. Here's the book Oprah read that lead to her 21 day experiment. I plan to check in on her blog periodically. I wish her well!

1 comment:

Shirin Modaresi said...

I love Oprah. She's such a good person and because she has such influence on others, she spreads her goodness around the world. I'm excited to hear what she has to say about her experiment. Hope it's good things!
-Shirin