Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Kite Runner


There's a reason this was on the national bestseller list for so many weeks. IT'S SO GOOD! Saeed and I had the pleasure of watching the movie last weekend and it did a good job of sticking to the book. If we particularly like a movie we usually watch the "making of the movie" segment. It was clear that turning this story into a movie presented a number of challenges such as dealing with an ethnically diverse cast. For example, the actor who played the main character (Amir) as an adult is actually an Egyptian Brit. He had to, and did, learn the Dari dialect of Farsi in one month in order to do the non-english speaking parts. The actors who played the children were real Afghani boys with no previous acting experience. The director was Swiss, so any time he wanted to give instructions to the actors they had to be translated first. The filming actually occured in China near the Afghan/Pakistan border due to the current turmoil in Afghanistan and the similar appearing terrain. So fascinating. So well done. Here's the trailer and if you haven't seen it yet, we recommend that you do.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I bought the movie the day it came out..it was excellent! Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns? I think I'm going to read it again.

Ingrid said...

I did and it was wonderful. Dr. Barkley and Joan also loved it. He said they each went out on the same day and bought it, not realizing that the other person was also buying it. Having two copies worked out though; they didn't have to fight over who would get to read it first! Khaled Hosseini is in the process of turning that into a movie too, and will be released in 2009 or 2010.