Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Local Earth Fare

I am starting to get excited about the new Earth Fare that will be opening where the old Harris Teeter (for those of you who used to live here) used to be. In the early days (1996) of my new vegetarian lifestyle I used to have to drive far into Charlotte, nearly downtown, to go to the only "natural foodstore" in the area, Talley's Green Grocery, for items not yet available in the standard grocery stores. These days even our local stores carry a lot of the organic, vegetarian food items but we still have to go to specialty stores for some things.
Sadly, Talley's closed down May 28th, probably due to the stiff competition from the newer, larger, brighter, fancier Earth Fare in Ballantyne. About one year ago another Earth Fare opened in Charlotte and then a Trader Joe's. A Whole Foods will be opening in Charlotte as well. As good as the increasing number of businesses selling "green living" is for me, it wasn't good for Talley's. I feel really sad about it; they were green when it wasn't easy being green!
Nevertheless, Saeed and I are VERY happy that we won't have to drive so far for groceries and a healthy meal. As I've written before, we are trying to reduce our carbon footprint. In fact we were trying to do that even before the term carbon footprint was popular. We knew the Earth Fare would be opening in June, but I just drove by on my way home from work and the opening date will be Wednesday, June 25. Maybe we can have a "hot date" even on a Wednesday night... why not?

1 comment:

Gabriel Beal said...

I'm sad about Tally's too...but very excited about Earth Fare. I want to go on some of those hot dates and get some food from their hot bar. Yummy!
-Shirin