Monday, June 9, 2008

Southern "Charm"

I laughed at a segment on NPR this morning and had to smile about it the rest of the day. The piece was about how citizens in the South politely use whatever systems are currently in place within government institutions to make changes in the laws. The author observed that in the South people don't yell and scream, picket, or form unions to push things through; they are far too civil. It was said that as more Northerners have moved into the area it seems that raising a stink to make change happen is becoming more common.

Well, one of the southern gentleman being interviewed was a government worker who explained, "Southerners would rather lie than be rude." I love that sentence. It tells you a lot about how things work down here! It also shows how different we all are. Is it any wonder then, that people from different parts of the world have trouble understanding how others think and live if we, within our own country, go about things so differently?
Ya'll come back now, y'hear?
(actually I'm lying)

No comments: