Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mystery Image Revealed

Well, does seeing the original full-sized photograph help? No? Then let me reveal to you the continuing story of our magnolia tree out front. Back in June I did a post on our magnolia tree's beautiful blossoms. The buds looked sort of cone-like but these really are like pine cones.

Here is the new cone with the seeds inside.

The outer edges of the hairy cone segments pull apart to reveal the hidden ruby-red gems inside.

Section by section the segments open to release the seeds.

It appears that this phenomenon proceeds from the tip of the cone to the base.

It looks like this cone is about done. It just needs to push the last few stragglers out of the house!

It is October, but the magnolia branches that appeared dead earlier in the year are sprouting new leaves. What a strange and wonderful tree.

3 comments:

Shirin Modaresi said...

You know, I really thought it looked like a Magnolia cone, but I decided against it because of the red seeds. I've never seen those before.
Very cool pictures!
-Shirin

Anonymous said...

I never would have gotten this. I've never gotten this close to a magnolia in the fall. Almost a gross picture.

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Marth, I know what you mean - in human terms, its appearance is sort of shocking. When I remember that the magnolia tree is one of the oldest trees still in existence and was around 20 million years ago, I no longer see something kind of gross; I see an ancient specimen that survived evolution and I feel awe. I guess that gives yet one more usage of the phrase "shock and awe!" Thanks Shirin.