Sunday, April 26, 2009

Care2's Earth Week Challenge

Care2 is a wonderful website having to do with the environment, human rights, care for animals, health, and quality lifestyle issues. For Earth Day they began "Care2's Earth Week Challenge" which involves a pledge to green-up our lives for the purpose of conserving precious resources and protecting the earth from environmental degradation.

I forwarded this challenge to the people I thought would want to do it but perhaps it's not a bad idea to provide the link for everyone. Even if you don't sign the pledge or decide to participate in the challenge, perhaps reading it will encourage you to do even just one easy thing. Go to this page to see the terms of the challenge. I will be writing about my attempt to meet these terms. At this time over 2,000 people have signed the pledge to:

1) Give up all single use drink bottles. (Bottled water, sodas, etc.)
2) Not use paper or plastic shopping bags. Instead, bring your own canvas bags.
3) Save electricity by cutting back TV to an hour a day and turning the thermostat down by two degrees.
4) Replace two car trips with walking, biking or public transportation.
5) Go vegetarian.

If you decide to do it, any of it, I would love to hear from you. If you want, I will post your success story.

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Well, I've been doing it for a few days now. I have done all of them without a problem except for number 4. I feel like I have to drive, especially when I have the baby with me. Athens is a fairly bike-friendly town, but I can't go grocery shopping and carry by food back on a bike and there are really busy roads by my house. I used to walk to school before I had Cyrus when I had an extra 45 minutes to spare, but I haven't done it since he was born. Any suggestions? I did convince everyone to walk to Dairy Queen instead of driving there yesterday...I guess that counts for something.
-Shirin
PS I have all of my canvas bags in a bunch, ready to be taken out to our cars. I also thought about buying a bottle of sweet tea today at Earth Fare and then didn't. We haven't used the AC yet this year and never watch TV, so that's not a problem yet, but it's about to get hotter. I hope I can stick to it.

Ingrid said...

Item #4 will be my hardest challenge too. I'll talk about it more when I blog about the transportation issue but probably I'll be asking you if you have any suggestions for me!