Sunday, June 7, 2009

Our 31st Wedding Anniversary

Last month we celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary. Last year we had "loose" plans (planned but no reservations made) to celebrate "big" (big for us - a weekend in Asheville) but that trip got swallowed up in all the excitement of Cyrus' birth. This year we celebrated in the manner to which we have grown accustomed and truly enjoy the best - a simple picnic meal at Winthrop Lake and a stroll near the lake.

The anniversary couple sitting on a bench.

Our view from the bench. The weather was gorgeous but a bit cool and windy. By the time we were finished eating, the bench was in the shade and we headed toward the lake where it was still sunny and (hopefully) a bit warmer.

I never get tired of taking pictures at Winthrop Lake. The scenes are so idyllic that I can't resist snapping the same basic shots each time I go.

First a mallard trio swam by.

Then we noticed a beautiful Canadian Goose family swim our way.

As they neared we noticed the two separate families, one with older goslings and one with only one gosling. The single younger gosling must have been the sole survivor of his brood.

The older goslings have already become less yellow, less fluffy than...

... Mr. Fluffypants.

They seemed to be swimming away from us but soon swam back towards the bank we occupied in order to begin their evening baths.


I think anytime I need to relax I will just watch these three videos.


Stay with this shaky, unclear video; you'll get to see Mr. Fluffypants' cute little stubby wings.


Everything you wanted to know about how to take a bath in a lake:


Three lessons learned:
1) hold the camera steady when shooting video (duh)
2) zooming results in unclear images (double duh)
3) don't plan big anniversary celebrations; the low key celebrations always turn out the best, especially if they're at Winthrop Lake.

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

I'm sorry Cyrus' birth interfered with your anniversary trip. I hope you guys can go again soon.
Happy belated anniversary. I'm so glad you guys have stayed together this long.
-Shirin

Saeed said...

Shirin,
Don't you feel bad, this was one of the best anniversary celebrations we have had last 30 or so years (How many years have we been married, Ingy?), we never do much more than this year's, most often, we do far less, but we always enjoy our celebrations. Ingrid's pictures and videos here really did capture the beauty that surrounded us at Winthrop Lagoon.