Tuesday, September 28, 2010

NPR Plays Shajarian!!

Some years back Saeed and I went to a concert in Raleigh of the famous Persian musician, Mohammed Reza Shajarian. It was very moving for me to see, in person, a musician of such high caliber. He was sick with a sore throat and fever the night of our concert but came on stage any way, his son (also a very good singer) taking over when his dad couldn't sing any more.

Imagine my surprise when I heard a piece about him yesterday on Morning Edition! Morning Edition is doing a year-long series on "50 Great Voices" across the world. As probably the most famous singer in Iran right now, Shajarian has taken a political stance to support the freedom and rights of the people in Iran. Since the voting debacle and violence of June 2009, he has forbidden the Iranian radio to play his songs in protest. I admire him so much. Here is the link to the NPR story.

Recently Shajarian was touring in Australia and gave a great interview (here, scroll down to the video) that I can't embed. I learned much more about his political views and was impressed with his answers regarding the status of women. Here is a shorter version that I could get off YouTube but I encourage you to watch the other one.

1 comment:

Tita said...

Love this mommy!! :) You are so amazing. Thanks for putting this up.