Thursday, October 21, 2010

Shirin's Graduation May 1, 2010

I had A LOT of fun looking back over these pictures and videos from the weekend we celebrated Shirin's graduation from Vet School, and Ken and Cyrus' birthdays. Some of the pictures are from my camera, but many are from Martha and/or Ken's camera, so thanks to M & K for some great pics.





Martha and Ken arrived in Athens a day ahead of us.

Did Ken know the mirror would catch him in the act?

Remember this picture from August 2006?

Here she is four years and one & three fourths babies later!

The seat Shirin always sat in.

Posing with Vet School UGA bulldog.

Posing with Martha on the steps of the School of Veterinary Medicine building.

We arrived just in time for dinner at the Olive Garden.

How many people does take to blow on the soup? At least two.

Don't ask me what I was doing in this picture... rolling my eyes at whatever Martha was telling me? I hope not. But there aren't that many pics of Martha and me together so I'm using it.

The next day we prepared to go to the graduation ceremony. I showed Cyrus what I'd do to him if he opened his mouth and made a lot of noise at the ceremony!
(just kidding)

It was a lovely ceremony- just enough pomp and circumstance, just enough humor, and of course getting to see Shirin receive her diploma was so exciting.

Cyrus was so good through the whole thing.

I had the pleasure of his company for a lot of the ceremony.

See? No tape.

Shirin receives her diploma.



Ceremony over, everyone gathers for congratulatory hugs.



Group shot, minus Ken, the photographer.

Relieved that it's really over!

Proud Gabriel with his doctor wife.

Proud parents.

Saeed gazes happily at the proof of his daughter's accomplishment.



In case you're wondering what the oath is:


Outside with Denise and Beth, her two best friends through vet school.

Martha and Ken taking the picture above!

One last shot before Shirin can't take it any more and has to take her gown off. It was pretty hot.

Cyrus points out all the "balls" on mommy's dress.

We headed over to a Thai restaurant for dinner and the opening of cards.

Cyrus cooperated by napping through the whole meal.

Once home it was time to celebrate the two birthday boys. Ken's birthday is May 2, Cyrus' May 9. Cyrus wasn't really sure about the whole thing:


Shirin got a cake for Ken and the adults and made Cyrus a healthier version (and truly his favorite) - a muffin!

Shirin and Ken instruct on the blowing out of the candle, but Cyrus just has eyes for that muffin.

Notice that at first he tries to sniff the flames, but after some instruction successfully blows his candles out:


Stealing a kiss from an almost two year old cutie.

It's only two seconds long but this video shows that Cyrus was perfectly happy with the muffin as his birthday cake.


And presents too!

Ken has a long history of 'harassing' children in order to get good interviews. He tortured both Shirin and Anahita when they were little, and although there's no video to prove it he tortured me when I was young as well! It's a rite of passage in our family, and Cyrus survived.


At some point that weekend Shirin received her graduation gift - a new phone.

Although they look quite serious in this picture everyone was playing with and investigating Gabiel's new iPad, an early birthday present.

3 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Hip hip hooray!
-Shirin

Tita said...

These are soo nice! And Kenny is so good with Cyrus. I forgot how good he was with children. :) I am so sorry that i had to miss it.

Ingrid said...

Yeah :-(