After cutting the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes I began sauteing them.
The recipe called for broccoli, tomatoes, and carrots, but I had to add mushrooms. I LOVE mushrooms. I also had to wash some cilantro to add as garnish. I LOVE cilantro. You can also see the spices: turmeric, curry, and cayenne pepper (which I added to make up for the missing serrano pepper.) You can also see a can of coconut milk; I decided to use low fat coconut milk (big mistake I found out.) Ignore the bananas. :-)
The other flavorings were shallots (the purple things) garlic, ginger (the yellow pieces), and lemongrass (the four stems that you may think are green onions.) The dark green thing was part of a poblano pepper, to provide some pepper taste (it wasn't hot enough to sub for the serrono, which is why I added cayenne.)
The instructions said to form a paste with the food processor, but I found it made less than a paste despite many turns of the blade. I ended up with more of a chopped mixture but think that was perfectly fine.
Meanwhile my first pan of tofu cubes were nicely golden. I put them in a bowl and sauteed another batch.
With the pan still hot after cooking the tofu I sauteed the shallot mixture in half toasted sesame oil and half canola oil. Toasted sesame oil provides a nice taste to Asian food. After 10 minutes it was beginning to brown, which meant it was time to...
... add the coconut milk, turmeric, curry, and cayenne pepper. Water and the carrots were added as well. Now it was beginning to smell gooooooood!
My pan was getting full and I knew I still had lots to add so I put the curry sauce in a big pot and added the veggies and the tofu.
Of course I had started the brown rice earlier and it was looking pretty good.
The finished product!
Nooshi Joon!
So was it good? It was good-ish. The ingredients were yummy but it did not taste the way it tastes at the Vietnamese restaurant. I chalk it up to four things:
- My tofu is different than the one they use. Theirs is smoother; I think it's what they call "silken" tofu.
- I used low fat coconut milk. I think this was a mistake. There was very little "coconut milk" taste. I think next time I will have to use the real thing.
- It wasn't salty enough. The recipe didn't say to add salt and we rarely add salt when we cook, but it needed it and next time I will add some.
- This recipe was out of Vegetarian Times, not Vietnamese Times. It may have been missing a crucial ingredient like thái vuông con cờ. (just kidding!)












3 comments:
I didn't get a chance to taste it this weekend. You'll have to make it for me again (with real coconut milk) soon.
-Shirin
Wow. Your process was much more elaborate. Mine was QD :). These are pretty pictures of the food. These days I am so into cherishing and enjoying fresh, organic foods and practicing mindful eating. So when I see pictures like these, I really appreciate them and the work that was put into preparing the dish.
I have a tendency to stray off recipes and do my own thing. This time I wanted to make it as the recipe directed, thinking it would be better. Really, it wasn't. I'll bet your QD was better.
(For anyone who doesn't know what QD means it's Saeed's term for cooking "quick and dirty", or just sort of slapping it together without too much fuss.)
Post a Comment