The random thoughts & events in the life of an animal-loving, peace-loving vegetarian. I can't promise to write regularly. And I can't promise that it will be interesting when I do.
Saturday, February 4, 2012
Too Warm
As others in the country are buried under a mountain of snow we have had temps consistently spring-like. Yesterday it was near 70. On January 29th this daffodil sprang up near our back door. I'm not complaining about the mild temps; in my old age I enjoy warmer temperatures, but this can't be good for the ecosystem that relies on cold temperatures to advance the normal life cycles. I have a feeling we will still get frigid temps (many of our snows have been in February and March) but by then many already budding trees and flowers that normally bud in late March and early April may die. I also think of the farmers. The Matthews Farmer's Market newsletter said this does not bode well for many of their produce. The blueberry bushes, for example, would die with a hard cold spell. So I don't know what to wish for... not that it matters. Mother Nature does what she wants.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yes, our daffodils in Athens are also blooming. I think we'll probably get some really cold weather in a few weeks, which will really hurt our plants.
-Shirin
On NPR just now they said that the SC peach farmers are concerned. The peach trees have already budded; they've never budded in early February before. Apparently cold weather helps peach development but if we have a hard freeze after the buds open it will kill them.
Ironically all the cold seems to have gone to Europe. I check Vienna on my phone app regularly and it was 14º with a forecast low of 9º last night. And the TV footage of snow on the Roman Forum was amazing. It's obvious that global warming is a misnomer. It's more like weather disturbance. The orange trees are blooming here in Texas at the same time that the fruit is ripening on their branches. I'm not sure if that's normal, but it seems odd.
- Your Big Sis
Post a Comment