Saturday, September 8, 2007

Fall Is Just Around The Corner

This was always my Dad's favorite time of year. Hating summer and the heat that came with it, September excited him as his favorite month, October, was one calendar page away. I also look forward to the day I can open my windows again, for my pleasure and for the "TV" it provides the kitties. Yesterday they noticed a squirrel in the dogwood tree outside our bedroom window, eating the red berries the tree grows in late summer. The squirrel scurried from cluster to cluster not missing one berry on the branch and not reluctant to step to the very tip of the branch to get one. Even though the window was closed the excitement was palpable as Lupe, Teddie, and Shahbanu ran to the "TV" to watch. Not one muscle twitched lest the squirrel detect their presence.

In spring our neighborhood is LOADED with snow white blossoms from the dogwood trees. Some blossoms are pink, but ours are like these: white with a pink hue at the tip of each petal.

And this is what the squirrels must think taste so good! It's amazing to me that the tree puts out beautiful white flowers in one season, then bright red berries in the next.
*dogwood photographs courtesy of www.all-creatures.org

2 comments:

Shirin Modaresi said...

I am also looking forward to October. I am SO tired of the heat and can't wait for my birthday! Though, it always makes me a year older! :(
I loved the kitties watching TV!
-Shirin

Tita said...

Tsk tsk. It already feels like autumn hear. In fact, at night it's downright chilly here. Fall is also my favorite part of the year (in the South of the US). In southern France, it was definitely Spring!