Friday, September 14, 2007

Guess Where I'm Going Tomorrow?

Well, Obi sitting in the box isn't the clue, but if you can read the flyer on the counter next to the box you'll know... Festival of India in Charlotte! In preparation for this much anticipated annual event I dragged out my henna supplies and set up in the kitchen. After removing my supplies from the red box Obi immediately claimed squatters rights and anyone who tried to say otherwise was sorry!

My supplies going clockwise from 6:00: the henna (which I made from scratch) in the squeeze tube, the designs I made by combining other samples I've seen, a little bottle of eucalyptus oil, tissues, sugar lemon solution, cotton balls, and gauze.

The design is drying with a coating of lemon sugar on top. Earlier I had to call Saeed in for help to fix my leaking tube of henna. Once I've begun I can't use my left hand to do anything!

The finished product is always a bit disappointing. I leave the henna on while sleeping to give it the hours needed to sink in. I do not hold still in my sleep, however, so many of my "designs" smear into blobs! Nevertheless I have a good time and enjoy the artistic endeavor. If I ever wanted to become a henna artist for a living (don't worry, I won't quit my day job) I'd have a lot of practice to do first.
Tomorrow I will happily immerse myself in Indian food, Indian music, Indian dancing, Indian jewelry, and Indian displays of art, history and culture.
And oh yeah, did I mention Indian food?
:-)

3 comments:

Saeed said...

This is what I have to put up with, it is outrageous! For eight weeks going nine Ingrid has been bartering with her leg wound for my services. Now that she has finally agreed to stand up on her feet, largely because of my forceful nudging and convincing argument about the Persians' torturous but effective ways of treating maladies, what does she do? She paints herself for hours, and for another six hours, packages her hand to dry. What is a poor man to do?

Ingrid said...

Just love her. You are a very lucky man to have such an interesting wife.

Shirin Modaresi said...

I agree with Mommy. Most other women are far more boring and don't paint themselves into beautiful Indian ladies. Have fun, Mommy!
-Shirin