Sunday, September 9, 2007

Pro-Football Has Begun

You wouldn't think I'd be interested in Pro-Football, but over the years it's been a source of entertainment and money in our marriage, yes money. We bet $1 per game and have very different strategies. Saeed takes the team he thinks is going to win. I take the team I like. Like? Yes, like. For example, I may choose the Philadelphia Eagles over the New York Jets because who would ever vote for a flying piece of metal over our beautiful national bird? I may take the Chicago Bears over the New England Patriots because I'm from Illinois originally and really, who would ever vote for politicians? I may vote for the Minnesota Vikings over the Green Bay Packers because I like their colors better.
The only problem is when the Carolina Panthers play. We both want them to win. I guess we've been down here long enough that we consider them "our" team. We had a good day today. Panthers beat the St. Louis Rams 27-13. Right now the Bears are playing the San Diego Chargers. It's the third quarter with the Chargers leading 7 to 3. Hmmm.... mountain goats v.s. grizzly bears. I'll have to go for the Bears. I actually like goats a lot, but the Bears are from Illinois :-)

(image courtesy of www.stlouisrams.com)

6 comments:

Saeed said...

For the record, I won the latest bet, as the agile Chargers squeezed by your beloved but sloppy grizzlys: too many fumbles.

Shirin Modaresi said...

I usually go with the best looking uniforms or nicest colors! Or location. I don't think your methods are strange, Mommy. I do think it's funny that you guys bet $1...why don't you make it more interesting...like for a back rub or something?
-Shirin
PS I actually think $1 are really cute...don't let me change that!

Ingrid said...

... and because Daddy gets his back rub no matter who wins!

Tita said...

Hee hee! That is really cute. I think that I tend to consistently root for the underdog team, since I have always been the underdog. Remember our kindergarden race?? I was oh sooooo far behind. :) I like reading about what you and daddy do. I didn't know that you bet on football together. That's really great.

Gabriel Beal said...

Hey, can I get in on this betting action? I too use mascot sin factoring for which team I will root. That's why my favorite team is the Maryland Terrapins. Who wants to mess with a giant angry snapping turtle-thing? However, I always root for the Patriots after seeing Tom Brady on Saturday Night Live (prior to this cheating scandal at least).

-Gabriel

Ingrid said...

That's fine Gabriel, as long you don't ever expect to collect your earnings. What I didn't include in the post was the haggling that occurs afterwards as to why the loser shouldn't have to pay the winner their prize money!