Tonight on "60 Minutes" the first story was about the Israeli Air Force program and their preparedness training, in part, to respond to an alleged potential threat from Iran. As I watched I kept thinking... how do we humans get to this point? How do we get to the point where we spend more money, energy and time on ways to protect ourselves by attacking others than on our schools, healthcare, and social programs?
I hope next week "60 Minutes" does a story on the subject of the following video: the U.S.'s role in helping to create the Iran of today. The speakers are knowlegable American educators, historians, and ex-military who have no reason to misrepresent the U.S.'s role in crushing the democracy Iran once was. My wish would be that our leaders see the truth in the speakers' comments regarding our country's culpability in the events that have occurred. I hope they recognize the disrespect our government has shown towards Iran. Perhaps they can use that as a starting point to begin a new era of foreign policy, one that respects the rights of others to exist in a way of their own choosing instead of bullying them to achieve their own selfish purpose. (video 6 min. long)
1 comment:
I just watched this video last week. I agree...it's really enlightening and angering when you think about the role the US/West has played in creating the Iran of today. The frustrating thing is that even educated Americans seem to have such a negative attitude about Iran, all b/c of the news. No one ever talks about the good parts or, even more importantly, the fact that it's a country full of people....just plain old citizens like us. It seems like all they ever see are terrorists and have such a misrepresentative view of a beautiful place. It's so sad.
-Shirin
Post a Comment