Saturday, June 7, 2008

Enjoying The Weekend

Last night we went to Earth Fare in Ballantyne, perhaps our last trip there since our own E.F. will be opening soon. When we left the sun was just setting and the heat of the day was being replaced with a lovely warm breeze.

The crescent moon was so pretty, so crescenty!

Saturday morning began with a trip to the recycling center. Our first task, however, was getting the neighborhood dogs out of the street. They often just sit in the center, cutely looking up at us like we have no business driving on their street.

We have been discussing the issue of buying locally grown produce; there are so many good reasons to do it. It seems our area has an increasing number of little farm markets and we decided to check one out. It was small but very nice, with produce that looked really fresh and is all locally grown.

One of the dilemmas, however, is that none of these markets (so far) have organic options. Strawberries and peaches, two very tasty locally grown fruits, are on the dirty dozen list. So, do we buy conventionally grown (loaded with pesticides) but locally grown produce or organic but shipped-in produce?
(peaches are #1 and strawberries #6 on "dirty dozen" list)

Perhaps at this point the solution lies in compromise: if the produce is high on the list we should buy organic regardless of where it was grown, and if it's low on the list buy conventionally grown from local farmers. If I didn't think it was so important I'd say to heck with all this.

After the produce stand we went to a wonderful store that has lots of food of Hispanic origin. We had so much fun looking at all the different items.

We came home with a couple of new things to taste.

Hot sauce anyone?

This was not the only section of dried beans. There were some directly across these shelves, and then more in bulk in the produce section. LOTS of beans!

When we got back home it was clear we intruded upon naptime.
Cute little Tippy fits in the cat tower better than Obi does!

Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Tita said...

You're getting good at taking pictures mommy. I really liked the moon shot. :)

Mexicans do LOVE their hot sauce. One of my girls (who is Mexican) carries a bottle of hot sauce in her purse wherever she goes. I am actually thinking of doing the same. ;)

I was telling daddy today you guys should try Trader Joe's. I really prefer it to other places like Whole Foods or Earth Fare. And it's much cheaper too.

Gabriel Beal said...

I can't wait to go to the latin store!
-Shirin