I don't know if any of you love turtles like I do, but I just read an article that said that terrapins have nearly disappeared in China due to the Chinese's love of turtle soup. Why should that matter to us? Because the U.S. is exporting terrapins to China from our southern states.Terrapins are turtles that inhabit the brackish, slightly salty waters of marsh areas. They were almost hunted into extinction in the 1930's. Terrapins have a very slow reproductive rate so removing even a few adults has a devastating impact on their population. These unregulated "harvests" could bring our terrapin population to the point of extinction.
So, if you have the chance to order turtle soup - don't. And if you live in Texas, Georgia or Florida, please write your state representative and ask that they end commercial turtle gathering.
1 comment:
Yikes. I had some terrapins as patients, so I would never eat them. It's very sad.
-Shirin
Post a Comment