Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Miss George Carlin

We truly love some of George Carlin's bits (some are a bit too raunchy) and I often have a George Carlin video forwarded to me so I can "laugh till I cry" as Saeed says. I listened to one recently that was so animal-friendly I began to wonder if Carlin was a vegetarian. I don't think he was, but he certainly had animal rights messages pop up in his work from time to time. Here are a few:

"And I think people have a lot of nerve locking up a tiger and charging four dollars to let a few thousand worthless humans shuffle past him every day. What a shi**y thing to do. Humans must easily be the meanest species on Earth. Probably the only reason there are any tigers left is because they don't taste good."

"And yet, in spite of all these examples of creature mayhem, I will not strike a dog, I will not chase and taunt a bull around a ring, and I will not squeeze an animal's testicles just to give the yokels a better show."

"Eating meat is one thing, but this whole beef-rancher-manure-cattle-hamburger side show is a different skillet of sh** altogether. Each year, Americans eat 38 billion hamburgers. It takes 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of red meat. Cattle consume one half of all the fresh water consumed on Earth. The sixty million people who will starve this year could be adequately fed if Americans reduced their meat intake to just 10 percent."

Yep - he said that. One thing you could count on with George Carlin, he called like he saw it.

No comments: