I wrote this post a couple of months ago and never published it, so the reference to Sept 2 is long past! I started the book but then had to put it aside for the book club book. Nevertheless I still plan to read and review the book I was sent...
I joined LibraryThing so that I could keep up with my books. Sound crazy? Not really. I have so many that I've received from other people, bought, mooched through BookMooch, inherited, and obtained for my book club, that I sometimes lose track of what I have on my shelves. I've organized them alphabetically, but with LibraryThing I can "see" what I have on my shelves from any computer no matter where I am.
Anyway, LibraryThing has a program called Early Reviewers that allows participants to sign up for a free copy of a new book even before it's release date so that we can read it and write a review. If you do win a free copy you are not obligated to write a review but not writing one would certainly not help your chances of winning another free copy in the future.
The book I will be receiving is called The Gendarme which has a hardcover release date of September 2. I have never written a book review before but I've read so many I know what's expected. Too bad there's no remuneration for this job!
P.S. Lupe insisted on being in the picture.


2 comments:
Your photo reminds me why I have moved more and more to e-books. Save a tree!
- Your Big Sis
Ha ha! You are so right. I wonder how many trees are on those shelves. But do you remember our conversation about paper napkins v.s. cloth? It may be a bit like that. 98% of those books I obtain are not new, so there's the recycling issue of obtaining them from others. In fact that's part of the reason John Buckman started BookMooch. Then you have to consider the materials and energy required to make something like a Kindle. Add to that the how-do-you-throw-this-away issue. Books are biodegradable; you can add the pages of a book to your compost heap between the layers of leaves and produce scraps. The materials to make an electronic device are much less earth friendly both in the production and in the discard processes.
Of course this is said by someone who has a laptop, cell phone, and desktop computer! Now if someone could just invent a nice small phone that has a magically expanding screen for reading books and computing, made out of earth friendly materials and biodegradable, I'm on board! And inexpensive of course.
Post a Comment