Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Day 2 Of Winter Storm 2014

The morning started off OK. The streets, miraculously, were dry and not at all icy at 28 degrees. I poured a cup of coffee and scooted out the door to visit Sherbet one more time in case the predicted storm materialized. He came running out of his little house when he heard me and we schmoozled for a good long time, him nestled on my lap and inside my coat against my chest.

An hour after I got home it started to snow an icy snow and the wind started up. I went out to protect my car even further so it'll be easier unearthing it next time I need it. I intended to go back in the house but the weather was so exhilarating that before I knew it my feet were taking me on a walk around the neighborhood. I also got a text: the office will not open today. Whee!!

From the top of the driveway you can hear the wind and the icy snow hitting objects:


Everyone in our neighborhood with steep driveways parks at street level.

I've learned that if I put multiple small things on my car it's easier to pull them off when they get stuck. I used to put one long towel but that was actually harder to remove. I've also tucked some things into the door handles as they often get frozen shut. Looks like a hobo car!

At least one dog owner had already taken a walk. The next time I came around the block these tracks were all but covered over with fresh snow.

Doesn't look like SC.

The dreaded two hills that are my only way out of our subdivision. The first one going down once caused a school bus to slide into the second yard on the left. Going back up there at the end is pretty scary when it's icy. Beautiful though.

Since it's still snowing and hasn't stopped I imagine there will be more than this snowman in Devonshire.


An ecstatic snow worshiper about to go out. As I'm typing this I can hear some teenage boys outside pulling each other on sleds with a small snowmobile. Wish I were with them!

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

It's so fun!
Wish we were there so we could sled down your hills. Remember when Jay and I did that?
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

Absolutely! I wish you were here so I'd have someone to go sledding with. As Cyrus suggested (to fly over the snow so he wouldn't leave prints) maybe you and the boys and Tita can fly on over here so we can go outside and play.