Saturday, February 1, 2014

Saturday Of Superbowl Weekend

Since this is Superbowl weekend the plan is to get stuff done so we can lounge in front of the violent entertainment that is the NFL. Also, our neighbors are out of town and we are "chicken sitting."

We found out our neighbor's name is Gladys. This is a great name for her as our human neighbors explained she is named for the character in the old TV series "Bewitched" that was the snoopy lady that lived across the street, Gladys Kravitz. Both Gladyses have a tendency to crane their heads around to look in the window to see what's going on inside the house. Having the name Gladys also means we will have to clarify in our conversations whether we are talking about Gladys the chicken or Gladys the lady who come to clean our house. Hopefully the context will be enough. "Hey Saeed, did Gladys poop on our sidewalk?" really shouldn't be confusing.

Thursday evening we went over to Kelly and Mark's house to receive our chicken training session. I admit to being slightly nervous since she is my first chicken experience. Saeed took the Friday night shift and I took the Saturday morning shift; so far so good and we will continue to care for her till Monday night. We also get to schmoozle with their two kitties who perform tricks for treats. They make our cats look really bad.

One of the AM chicken chores is to remove the egg that may be in her nest although I did not find an egg this morning. After feeding her I walked back to our driveway and began cleaning out my car. Gladys is very friendly and likes to hang out with people. She followed me over, singing to herself in that slightly warbley chicken way, and promptly hopped inside my car to check it out. She found nothing of interest in there and hopped back out while giving me the stink eye. Sorry Gladys. Let's go to the house so I can find something to redeem myself.

Saeed is on a sweet potato kick so I cut a piece off his supply and voilĂ ! Pay dirt.



I will let you know if we find an egg one of these mornings. Meanwhile I will clean up and do laundry till Gladys needs us again.

Addendum: Gladys puts herself to bed. When sunset approaches she goes into her wired enclosure where her hutch is and sits on her nest. No worries that we have to catch her and put her in there. How cute is that?


No comments: