Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and pray that anyone traveling "over the hills to grandma's house" has a safe trip.

My intention was to keep the "be kind to animals - don't eat turkey" rant off this post and just put up funny cartoons related to Thanksgiving. As I uploaded each one I became more and more bothered by the humor that sanitizes what we are actually doing to these poor birds. It just doesn't tickle my funny bone when I know what's really going on (think about the video shown on the evening news a few nights ago of Palin standing in front of the turkey slaughterer with the gruesome part of the video fuzzed out.)

Imagine what that means. Someone has killed a bird and cut off his leg so you could eat it.


Now there's a sharp pointed object stabbed into its belly and the cartoon is made to look like these turkeys are willing participants.


Actually this one's OK. I don't imagine the scarecrow feels pain!


This one I like. The smart turkeys outwitted the killer. :-)


This one is frightening. It's like those horror movies, where there's someone coming after you with an ax, and you're desperately trying to get away from him.


Again... I think this turkey needs his chest muscles more than you do.


This one is very clever. It shows that one type of bird is for raising under cruel conditions, brutally killing, and then eating, while another type of bird is so revered that it shows up on our buildings, flags, and money. Do you see any logic in that? Any logic at all? It's like us not eating a dog because it's a dog but eating a cow because it's a cow. Huh?


So, I guess I've been a wet rag again. Sorry. It's just that we need to look at the reality of things.

No comments: