Sunday, November 30, 2008

So Many Books, So Little Time

This is me at my happiest. I love to read books more than just about anything. A good book, a cup of tea or coffee, some warm fuzzy slippers and a kitty on my lap and I'm in heaven. Fortunately Saeed also shares my passion for reading. Our favorite "dates" are at coffee shops or Earth Fare's cafeteria where we can read till they kick us out. Even better is our own living room where we are soon snuggled in with five cats (or in the piano room with three cats.) I'm also lucky that Shirin loves to read (I'm working my way through {and enjoying} the Harry Potter series at her behest), that Gabriel loves to read (I read {and loved} "Time Traveler's Wife" at his suggestion), that Anahita likes to read (I sent her my copy of "A Long Way Gone" and "For The Love Of A Dog") and my sister as well. Martha sends me her books when she's done with them, and there's no better present than a box full of books from my sis!

Martha recently sent me "Better" which I enjoyed so much. I think anyone would get a lot out of it, but since I work with doctors it was especially meaningful.











She also sent me (which I'm reading now) "The Glass Castle", the amazing true life story of Jeannette Walls, currently an MSNBC gossip columnist. Here's a great description, taken from
www.thereadinggroupguides:
The Glass Castle is a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant. When sober, Jeannette's brilliant and charismatic father captured his children's imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and how to embrace life fearlessly. But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive. Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn't want the responsibility of raising a family. The Walls children learned to take care of themselves. They fed, clothed, and protected one another, and eventually found their way to New York. Their parents followed them, choosing to be homeless even as their children prospered. The Glass Castle is truly astonishing -- a memoir permeated by the intense love of a peculiar, but loyal, family. Jeannette Walls has a story to tell, and tells it brilliantly, without an ounce of self-pity.
So many books, so little time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have sent you "Time Traveler's Wife" as well, but I leant it to Sara and she never gave it back. Glad you're enjoying my choices. I'm in the middle of another that you will love.

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

I can't wait... read it FAST! Would you happen to have a copy of The Omnivore's Dilemma? It's my next book for book club.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. We're reading "Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons." The meeting is at my house and I've been baking and freezing cookies as is our tradition.

- Your Big Sis

Ingrid said...

Ha! No irony in that! Your group reading about eating bon bons, my group reading about why we shouldn't!

Gabriel Beal said...

Yay! You're reading Harry Potter! Good. I want to talk to you about it.
-Shirin
PS I can't wait to start reading all my favorite children's books to Cyrus.