Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud To Be An American

It's been a very long time since I was proud to be an American. Those who know me know that I haven't been willing to fly the flag or wear red, white and blue on the fourth of July for a long time.
That has changed. It changed yesterday, election day, before I even knew the results of this historic election. I felt that even if Obama didn't win, this country had made great strides with his being the democratic candidate. It's not about him being a black man, although that is certainly significant; it's about him breaking the mold for what is acceptable to be the leader of our country. His calm, steady manner of explaining his vision for the future is unlike anything I've seen before. And to think, that the people who voted him into office are the people I've been calling idiots for the past eight years. I guess people can learn from their mistakes.

Good luck President-elect Obama. Stay safe..... and thank you.

(photo courtesy of Morry Gash, AP)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are also so thankful that all went well in Grant Park in Chicago last night. The three Kennedy, King, and Kennedy assassinations that occurred in our youth have scarred us for life. Perhaps Chicago is a city that can successfully stage the Olympics.
Now we just have to work on enlightening your neighbors and acquaintances...

- Your Big Sis

Beth said...

here, here! i completely agree.

Gabriel Beal said...

I think his election will also soften the other people of the worlds' views of us Americans. How could it not?
-Shirin

Arya's Mom (Author) said...

You took the words right out of my mouth and my heart. Never have we been more proud and happier than last night to see this great man win the election.

Anonymous said...

I watched the election all the way to the end Tuesday night. I could not stop the tears. Words were sooo inadequate for the night with the history of this country and the history I have seen first hand. I think it expressed more in the silence of people.