We've been using canvas bags for a long time but now it's official. You either bring your own or it'll be a paper bag. Congratulations to Earth Fare for taking a stand.
Top 5 Reasons Earth Fare is Kicking Plastic Bags!
Posted by: earthfare | April 13, 2010
What we do to the Earth, we do to ourselves.
And for that reason, Earth Fare has decided it is time to take a stand on plastic bags. It is time to CUT, BREAK and even STAB the plastic “bag” habit. You have all seen the havoc plastic bags wreak on our landscape – littering the highways, the landfills and hanging from the trees – gross! Starting April 22nd (Earth Day), Earth Fare is taking a stand for Mother Earth! We are ELIMINATING plastic grocery bags from all of our stores.
Top 5 Reasons Earth Fare is eliminating Plastic Bags!
1. Plastic bags get into our rivers and oceans killing marine life!
2. Plastic bags decompose slower than paper bags leaving roads, forests and neighborhoods littered with garbage.
3. According to a study by the EPA, plastic bags are FOUR TIMES LESS likely to be recycled over paper bags!
4. Plastic bags hold THREE TIMES LESS than traditional paper bags.
5. Plastic bags produce 33% MORE fossil fuels and 59% MORE greenhouse gases than paper bags.
So, grab the reusable bag this Earth Day, and get shopping! And stay tuned for our next post on the Paper Bag vs. Plastic Bag debate!

3 comments:
Does #5 mean that it takes more fossil fuels to make plastic bags than paper? I thought that was the opposite. Either way, I'm happy to kick the habit and have been doing canvas bags most of the time for about a year. The problem is what to do for the kitty litter...those bags are perfect for scooping.
-Shirin
I don't know the answer to your question. Whoever wrote this for the Earth Fare site must have obtained the data from somewhere.
I also have the problem of what to use for scooping litter, but since all the stores in my geographical area still use plastic I know I can always scavenge some from the recycling bins. My hope is that soon they will begin to produce some version of 'plastic' bags out of that new material that decomposes completely, the material Sun Chips products now come in.
I'm sure they will. Hopefully, soon everything will be biodegradable.
-Shirin
Post a Comment