Friday, April 30, 2010

Tired Of The Big Box Stores?

I am, and yet the lure of finding so much stuff in one spot for less money is very appealing, yes? We all know that where we spend our money speaks volume about our values and what sort of towns and communities we want to build and live in.

Enter The 3/50 Project, a movement not unlike the slow food movement to counteract the spread of the fast food industry, to get folks to shop locally at small businesses. The idea is that you pick three independently owned businesses, no chain stores, and commit to spending $50 there each month. The money of course supports local issues through taxes, local citizens through salaries, and other local expenditures.

The originator of the 3/50 project has extended this effort to include independently owned restaurants and eateries, aptly naming this movement "Eat down the street."
I love the concept but considering the town I live in and the meatless options in my town I'm not sure how successful I'll be! Also, Saeed and I don't spend $50 three times a month at restaurants. Our favorite restaurant, Saigon Bistro, is family owned but located in Charlotte and we probably only go there once a month on average. We do eat fairly often at the local Earth Fare for obvious reasons and feel good about supporting them. Earth Fare is a chain but a relatively small one and whose philosophy we strongly agree with.

Anyway, the ideas are all good and I just wanted to pass on the concept to others who may want to incorporate these ideas into their spending choices.

No comments: