(taken through the screen and glass)
I opened my back door to be able to take a better picture and he/she flew to the tree and looked back at me.
This is an enlarged as I could get the picture without it getting too pixelated.
Although several species of owl migrate through South Carolina there are only four species of owl that live and breed here year round. Below is a brief description of the barred owl which matches this fellow perfectly, including the "who-who-who-who, who-who-who-whoowha" sound we hear every night. (It's only about 7:15 pm and an owl is hooting right now!) The excerpt comes from hiltonpond.org. Bill Hilton is well known in this area, was a local high school biology teacher, and runs The Hilton Pond Center which serves to conserve animals and plants in this area and allows for study and research. In fact when I was studying to be a biology teacher I subbed for his classes for three weeks when he went on an expedition to Australia.
Of all owls found in the state, the Barred Owl (Strix varia) is seen most often because it is "crepuscular." This means it is active in twilight hours of dusk and dawn, and sometimes in broad daylight. Named for its breast markings, this large owl is the only Carolina species with dark eyes; all the rest have yellow irises. Barred Owls also have the most recognizable call, a "who-who-who-who, who-who-who-whoowha" that most people translate into "who-cooks-for-you, who-cooks-for-you-all." Barred Owls are especially vocal during courtship when, in the words of Allen Eckert (The Owls of North America, Weathervane Books), there are "specialized calls made with relative infrequency which virtually defy written description. Some are coarse, guttural, and, to human ears, almost uncouth in character. Others are much like the fierce, hair-raising shrieks of mating alley cats. There are deep chucklings, harsh laughing sounds, maniacal gibberings and gabblings, disconsolate mutterings, howls, and yells. Occasionally there will even be a decidedly disconcerting humanlike scream of pure agony." Such vivid description explains why my friend Russ Rogers Jr. barely slept for the three months it took a Barred Owl pair in his Fort Mill backyard to court and then raise offspring. Barred Owls are most common in wooded bottomlands and swamps.



5 comments:
How beautiful! You guys must be special to have been chosen by this owl as your yard-mate. :)
-Shirin
What a beautiful bird! I love this sound. He has such pretty yet spooky eyes.
Shirin, I'd like to think he chose us but I believe there are at least two owls based on the vocalizations I can hear. I'm hoping there's a couple with some babies! The only drawback when I first think about it is all the cute little rodent babies they're probably eating, but quickly I realize I'm OK with it. Such is the natural world.
What a gorgeous face! Please send him to visit us when you are finished enjoying him. We have an explosions of voles and bunnies. The coyote people spot every so often isn't keeping up.
- Your Big Sis
Sorry - can't have him!
Post a Comment