Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Letter From Eric

I ran across this letter on the web; I understand how he feels and his need to write the letter. I had to write my own, remember? I am very interested in what event or thought process turns an omnivore into a vegetarian for ethical concerns (not nutritional concerns, as this is out of concern for the self.) Is it an evolution of moral and ethical standards? Is it the same turning point for each? I would love to know the psychology behind the decision to no longer eat something that one thinks tastes really good.

I particularly like the second half of this letter, the part after "All of this when it was unnecessary to do so." It probably gives some of the most common reasons people can't make the break once they've become aware of the horrors behind their meal. Too bad it's so easy to hide behind the plastic wrapped meat tray from the store. If we all had to watch and hear what happens to the animal we're about eat before each meal...

Dear thousands of cows, chickens, fish, shrimp, pigs and insects,
I paid someone to hold you captive in tight quarters. To remove your genitals, your beaks, your tails and to brand you, all while wide awake and without anesthesia. To forcibly impregnate you and keep you that way all your life. I paid them to remove you from your children and from your parents at birth. And finally to kill you. I paid them to treat you as a commodity, a slave, as an object that existed only for my benefit. As if you could not suffer, or as if it didn’t matter if you could or not. All of this when it was unnecessary to do so. I did this solely for my own pleasures. A tasty meal, a full belly. You gave me comfort, you gave me a way to fit in with others and with the crowd. You gave me a center piece around which I and my family could celebrate. You were there to fill an empty space when I had a longing that I didn’t know how to fix. You made me feel safe. I know you can’t answer me directly, but I want to make this right. I feel I do not yet understand how to do this fully. Until then I will do what I can.
I love you,
Eric

No comments: