Saturday, November 22, 2008

Academic Advising

In September Neda returned to the U.S. after two years in Mauritania with the Peace Corps. She knows what she'd like to do but wanted some advise from the professor regarding academic options. Recently she and Saeed sat at the table discussing possible next steps as I buzzed around doing bits of housework here and there, but also sitting and listening sometimes.
It struck me, not for the first time, that the youth of today have the whole world open to them. As wonderful as that is it also makes it difficult to pin down one plan or one path. In my life, for every path I chose I turned away 100 others. For every path Neda (and others like her) chooses she turns away 100,000,000 others! It's like deciding between vanilla and chocolate ice cream or between Baskin & Robbins' 31 flavors - much more difficult.

Mulling this over I went into the laundry room to start another load when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature basket with a sleeping kitty inside. (Ok, so I couldn't keep up the rhyme.) He loves to snoozle in the laundry baskets, especially when the dryer is running and the basket is warm and toasty.
Sorry Obis Obis, I'll leave you alone and go back to listen to Neda and Saeed.

4 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

Interestingly, I sort of figured out what I wanted to do at age 18, with Daddy's help. I've always done lots of other stuff, but my end goal never wavered...I guess I'm lucky.
-Shirin

Anonymous said...

Long before you were 18, Larry often recounts a story of you answering the question of "what you wanted to be when you grew up?" He claims you said you wanted to be a "Football player and a mommy" ( I think I got that right). Larry thought that was a great answer you didn't see any barriers.
love ellen

Saeed said...

I am always delighted to see Ellen writing a comment; it feels as if the Hatchers are still living closeby. I am especially happy when she mentions Larry because then I know that he has until recently been or is still alive. Nothing is better than living good friends!

Shirin Modaresi said...

Funny. That's exactly hat I wanted to be. At least I'm one of those things! :)
-Shirin