Having just been to my childhood home for a visit, I had the weirdest reaction to this (30 second) video. It starts out like the old-time movies we used to watch in school, so I had a real déjà vu experience. After watching it I began to remember myself as being similar to that little blond girl, sitting at the table with a piece of bacon on my fork (my mom wouldn't have let me hold it in my hand) with a glass of milk and two sunny-side-up eggs, wearing a puffy short-sleeved blouse under my jumper... Would my reaction have been the same as hers?
I'm not sure I was capable of thinking for myself at that age, back then. Times have changed. Kids challenge authority much easier than a generation ago, for better or for worse. In this case it was for the worse... I spent 39 years eating animals when I didn't have to. I find that really painful. It's no one's fault, not mine, not my parents', but a shame nonetheless.
No comments:
Post a Comment