I didn't plan to take pictures when Saeed and I went to Winthrop Lake recently to commune with nature. The sun had already slipped behind the tallest trees and the remaining light was muted. But as we drove around I saw this heron standing in the middle of the lake and stepped out of the car for a closer look. I named the water-walker 'Jesus' but knew it had to be standing
on something. The enlarged photograph clearly shows two man-made objects fixed in the water.
Jesus is thus revealed as a scam artist.

Once the camera was out of the case I had to record the beauty, poor lighting or not.

This walkway leads into the 'Wetlands Sanctuary' area.

Looks like an "opposite" plant: pink stems and green berries.

Such intense coloration.

The mature berries do become pink like the stems.

Nearby a frothy, feathery plant exhibits the same colors.

It was kind of wierd looking; bright green and dark pink haphazardly spurting out in no particular pattern.

Yet a different plant with bright magenta berries. I always think of fall colors as being red, orange, brown and yellow, but intense dark pinks and magentas obviously need to be added to my mental autumn palette.

Ahh... beautiful goldenrod.

I think Mr. Goldenrod has some unwanted friends.

You know how I love taking pictures of bees. Well these bees were clinging to the goldenrod for dear life. It
was really windy. But then I realized that the bees weren't moving; they were clutching the stems in a true death grip. I can't blame them... the goldenrods are a beautiful final resting place. I will miss the bees till I meet up with their children next spring... the cycle of life is at once sad and incredibly magnificent.
1 comment:
I love Winthrop Lake. It's meant a lot to me through my entire life in RH.
-Shirin
Post a Comment