Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fun Saturday

I know Shirin is having fun at LEAF but she's missing a lot of fun here. Clayton and his fiance Olga, David and his nephew Seth came to play "Vampire".

Here everyone is discussing the details of the game, what could make it better, etc.

Notice Gabriel's shirt which says, "Not ashamed to be related to a monkey."

Seth and Cyrus negotiate the terms of the ball game.

When I play with Cyrus using puzzle pieces it usually involves some form of putting the pieces back into the puzzle, or perhaps dumping them all out of the puzzle. When Cyrus' Grandpa plays with the puzzle pieces somehow it's an altogether different game....


Cyrus finds safety from the attacking puzzle pieces in the laundry room.

Another way to escape attack is to push the puzzle around like a car, vroom vroom!

Invasion of my pantry begins almost immediately.

Cyrus: "Humm, it looks too neat in here."

A trip outdoors on a gray fall day reveals more red balls but these were not edible.

I thought Cyrus would like to help me get the mail but I was wrong about that.
He was more interested in...

...walking up the steep driveway all by himself.

He almost made it all the way to the top but got distracted by more red berries.

I watched carefully as he trotted back down. Just a few months ago this likely would have been the start of a trip to the E.R. but he is so much more in control.




One way to get away from Grandpa is to become REALLY interested in a toy:


No matter how unhappy he sometimes gets being attacked, he always comes back for more. No worries at the end there; he tumbled but got right back up.


Shirin taught him to crouch down so cats feel less threatened, but Chappu (he calls her Bappu) walks right by him... fickle cats.


All day Cyrus had been trying to hide in the closet but our shelves don't leave any space for someone even as thin as he. Finally he realized he could push all the floor items out of the way to find a nice cubby.


Macho dancing means shouting really loudly while you're dancing.


All weekend he's been hiding his water and then asking where it is with the 'palms up' sign saying 'wah?'


The two little things in his hands were little tiny birdies.


I never knew an answering machine could be so much fun.

2 comments:

Tita said...

Thank you mommy for these delicious videos! :) They are so incredibly fun to watch and Cyrus has become such a big boy. I can't wait to see him in a few weeks!!

Might I also make an unsolicited suggestion? I think that Cyrus' personality tends naturally to be a little shetuni so perhaps making a game out of, say, pretending to erase the answering machine message could be reinforcing his natural tendancy to create mischeif for fun and get a reaction out of you. I don't know a lot about early child development, but I worry a little that these little lessons learned through play could influence Cyrus' behavior when he gets to the age of the kids I work with. Maybe I'm totally wrong though. Daddy, what do you think here?

Ingrid said...

I would totally agree with you IF Cyrus had any idea what an answering machine was or that pushing those buttons actually do something in the adult sense. To a child his age it's just another toy with buttons and sounds. As you will see when you get here there are other circumstances when Grandma very clearly tells him not to do something and 99% of the time he complies. There are some things (like putting his little socked hoofies on the the kitchen table) that present a challenge. At his age often the best thing to do is to remove the source of conflict or move him from the forbidden object. So you are right; at some point the answering machine will be off limits. Our answering machine will be off limits any way since you have to be five feet tall to reach it!! Can't wait for you to see him.