Friday, April 16, 2010

The Lizards Are Back!

It's finally gotten warm enough for my little buddies to resurface after a long cold winter. This little guy (or gal - how can you tell?) greeted me when I stepped out onto the sunny deck. It still surprises me when they don't run away from me as I approach.

Meet Eleodoro which means 'gift from the sun'. Look at that long tail!

I got down to Eleodoro's level to see if he'd let me - he did.

Would he let me get even closer? He did. He seemed as curious as I.

He looked me over real good with his left eye...

... then his right...

... then his left again. Perhaps he was looking at his own reflection in the lens?

I kid you not when I say he followed me around as I walked on the deck.

I left Eleodoro to his sunbathing and what greeted me back in the house? Eleodoro's distant cousin Heveadoro* who was swimming in the water bowl courtesy of Lupe.
(* Heveodoro means 'gift from the rubber tree' ~ Hevea brasiliensis is the genus species name for the rubber tree ~ tee hee hee.)

Layli checked him out.

This is a lizard from last fall. I've included the picture because of the two-toned tail. It looks like when he regrew his tail it grew in a different color.

As crazy as this sounds Saeed and I feel that these lizards trust us, or whatever the reptilian equivalent of trust is. I'm sure they'd run away and hide if a hawk or cat came on the deck, but they walk right up to us and look us straight in the eye. Maybe they've looked there before and seen deep into our animal-loving souls and know that we could never, would never hurt them.

2 comments:

Gabriel Beal said...

I think our neighborhood cat brought me a dead one of these little guys and left it for me on my front steps. Poor little guy. :(
-Shirin

Ingrid said...

I'll never forget when you and I chased all around the computer room and living room to rescue foolish lizards that came into a house with 9 cats.