Saturday, April 17, 2010

Write A Haiku For Earth Day

Last year at this time I was inundating you with green lifestyle information. This year, it's time to get creative. I have found some great haikus, poems to honor Mother Earth. I wanted to write one myself but I have decided I'm not much of a haiku writer. Feel free to write one yourself in the comment section if you feel inspired; I will add it to this post.

Need to refresh your memory on the form of the haiku? 
The first line: Five syllables.
Second line: Seven syllables.
Third line: Five syllables.

the green Earth rocks me
in my land-and-sea cradle
she sings in bird song

glorious eagle
fly for us who cannot see
beyond our own beaks

While we continue
to debate global warming,
the polar bears die.

Life will rise like a
phoenix from the ashes of
human industry.
life is the question
reduce, reuse, recycle
change is the answer

Shimmering blue gem
circling sun in cold space
cradle of sweet Life

(not in the same spirit of the assignment, but this one made me laugh!
The earth'll be grand,
dry yer eyes and have a pint
Buncha tree huggers


Many folks enjoy the fanfare of Earth Day as if it were a national holiday. My wish is that after they celebrate the day they remember that they need to participate in a productive way as well.


celebrate Earth Day
but don't forget the mission
each of us must change

These delightful haikus were contributed by my sister:

Paper or plastic?
Either choice hurts the earth.
Should I stop shopping?


How should I get there?
Board the plane or drive the car?
Best to stay at home.


Flowers bloom, birds sing,
My spirits are lifted up.
Nature heals my soul.

4 comments:

Ingrid said...

Scaredy cats. That last one was mine by the way.

Martha said...

Paper or plastic?
Either choice hurts the earth.
Should I stop shopping?

How should I get there?
Board the plane or drive the car?
Best to stay at home.

Flowers bloom, birds sing,
My spirits are lifted up.
Nature heals my soul.

Enough?

Ingrid said...

Enough? Those are awesome! Thanks for contributing - I will add them to the post.

Ingrid said...

P.S. Shop, but take reusable canvas bags.